On 24 May 1945 the document in which it was decided ”The Silesian University of Technology is being created (…). The Silesian University of Technology is divided into four Faculties of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Metallurgy, Civil Engineering” appeared .
On 1 June 1945 lectures for students of four Faculties of the Silesian University of Technology began and 5 June 1945 the first solemn opening ceremony was organized for ca. 1200 students in the Main Hall of the AGH University of Science and Technology in Cracow. Syllabuses and curricula of studies were based on the patterns taken for the Lvov University of Technology. In June 1945 four Faculties (instead of the Faculty of Metallurgy the Faculty of Chemistry was created) were moved to Silesia which till the opening of classrooms there worked at the AGH University of Science and Technology in Cracow. On 29 October 1945 the second but the first in Gliwice opening ceremony of the academic year of the Silesian University of Technology with 519 students of the Faculty took place. 186 students began the first year of studies. Classes began at the seat on Strzody street. The first Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering was Prof. Zygmunt Ciechanowski.
During the first year of the Faculty existence 9 divisions were organised, and in 1946 there was already 20 of them. The then syllabuses and curricula of 4-year-studies basing on the pre-war education methods of the Lvov University of Technology consisted of 5150 hours of classes and ensured the throughout mastering of subjects at a chosen specialisation and encyclopaedic familiarisation with almost all subjects related to the branch of studies in the field of mechanical engineering.
Studies carried out parralelly at a few semesters: at the first semester on which students were enrolled in October 1945, at the first semester on which students began their studies in May 1945 yet in Cracow and at the third, fifth and seventh semesters on which students who were forced to break their education at other universities because of the Second World War continued their education. The basic professor cadre in 1945 consisted of professors of the Lvov University of Technology who were forced to emigrate from Lvov. numerous assistants and students who entered the Silesian University of Technology were also joined with the Lvov University of Technology. Later on many of them became professors of the Silesian University of Technology. That outstanding professor cadre continuing the excellent traditions of the Lvov University of Technology since the very beginning was the strongest trump of the Silesian University of Technology and distinguished our University from others.
Till 1948 the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering educated MSc engineers at the uniform 4-year-studies. In 1949 214 graduates (out of 683 students) who studied at the Silesian University of Technology since the first semester left the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. As a result of huge demand in industry and science on engineers and MSc engineers the Senate of the Silesian University of Technology decided to educate at two-level-studies: at 3-year BSc and 2-year MSc studies. Since the academic year of 1955/56 the education of MSc engineers according to 5-year-MSc studies began. Together with day-time studies in the academic year of 1949/1950 the evening studies were undertaken and in the academic year of 1954/55 the extramutal BSc studies were started.
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering as one of the first Faculties of the Silesian University of Technology became the forge for other new units. On 12 July 1950 the Faculty of Mining into which many staff of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering moved was opened. On 24 December 1953 the Faculty of Energy and Mechanical Engineering transformed later into the present Faculty of Energy and Environmental Engineering was founded out of the Departments excluded from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. In 1954 the Department of Metallurgy created by Prof. Władysław Kuczewski, was moved to the College of Engineering in Częstochowa. The Department of Metallurgy of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, which was founded in 1966 was the germ of the Faculty of Metallurgy founded on 15 June 1969, and then transformed into two Faculties: of Materials Engineering and Metallurgy and of Transport still employing many of former staff and graduates of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
On 7 May 1966 the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering was renamed and is called like that since today.